Every woman has a seasonal signature lip. They may know it or perhaps be unaware, but everyone has one . The bolds, the nudes, the minimalists or the ones who go bare. For me the idea of lipsticks and combination of lip products is ever appealing and I find myself flittering amongst too many things to actually call one product or a combination of products my favourite or my signature per say.
This was true until a couple of weeks ago, unusually I had a lot of time to get dressed to go out for the evening with my husband. I say unusually because like all women who are being accompanied by a person of the opposite gender, I too am guilty of always running late.
Having time on my hand, meant shuffling through the stash of lip products (my favourite part of putting on make-up) and I managed to layer three products that looked beautiful together and lasted a phenomenal 6 hours !! No touch ups.
Gosh Cosmetics Lipliner in 01 Nougat Crisp
MAC Kinda Sexy
Lancome Color Fever Lipgloss in 206
The Finished Lip:
This is probably the perfect pink for me, not too bold nor too insignificant and perfect for those spontaneous selfies !
What is your signature lip product/combination this summer ?
When you think of lip products the terms tube and wand are usually associated with lip glosses or in recent times lip stains ( glosses with a higher dose of pigmentation once the “glossy” bit has worn off). However,the beauty world has also been taken by a storm with a new hybrid,which are the liquid lipsticks.
Honestly, my first thought on hearing/seeing these on several beauty counters and youtube/blogs was,’that looks messy’.But curiosity always caught the cat (especially the ones mad about their lippies). And off I went to pick a couple of different ones to put to the test.
1) The Apocalips Lip Lacquer (Released as Show-Offs in the USA) by Rimmel : This is one of the thinnest,”barely there” on your lips kind of lip colour formula that I have come across. With barely any weight it glides right on and the applicator is quite convenient as it is not flat but has a scoop like quality that helps to pick up just the right amount of colour from the tube for one full application. The formula goes on quite wet (not sticky!) but after around 45 minutes the sheen dries down and is very subtle the colour stays on for around 3 to 4 hours and does not require a touch up. Even after 4 hours the wear is not uneven and will fade beautifully.
Note : The Apocalips formula is not highly pigmented and can be built up to create a more opaque look or can be worn quite sheer to suit your personal preference.
2) Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Lipstick: This liquid lipstick is a more recent launch when compared to the Rimmel Apocalips. The formulation is also considerably different, with a creamier and much more opaque consistency,it is a lot more matte than the Rimmel formula and the dry down of the slight sheen is much faster. So if you love the look of a vibrant matte lipstick but hate the chalky dry feel of it on your lips, this liquid lipstick is a win-win situation for you ! The applicator of this is quite ordinary, however the formulation of the product more than makes up for it. One application and you have a full opaque mouth of colour, with the slight sheen drying down quite quickly, this lipstick will stay put for hours at a stretch and is completely smudge proof once is dries down (even requires quite a bit of work to remove it !). Great for those of us who could not be bothered with touching up our lippy throughout the day! Also like the Rimmel Apocalips these have a very barely there feel,yet with great pigmentation!
Both Lipsticks are available at Boots Pharmacies.
Ever since I recollect hearing the term “Vitamin E” , all I can associate it with, are its benefits for hair, skin , nails etc. How it’s oil gives you the most flawless skin and the shiniest, thickest locks and also how this is found as an ingredient within so many beauty products.
Hence, my curiosity of whether,the Vitamin E phenomenon is true or false. Which is, does this ingredient actually have anything to its own merit or is it just one of the thousand ingredients dumped in to beautifying concoctions to increase their market appeal ?
On a trip to the pharmacy I picked up “Vitamin-E Oil Capsules” from a brand called Nature’s Bounty. A good Chunky sized capsule with Vitamin-E oil filled in each one,and to the test I put them.
Now after several weeks of using them, as oral supplements and for external application, the following uses are my personal favorites and have worked wonders for me.
Firstly, let me just put it out there that the oral consumption of these did nothing for me. I did not notice any significant difference with the texture or complexion of my skin. Neither did I see any improvement with the quality of my hair.
What worked wonders is the external application of this oil. So every night I nip open a capsule and apply the oil all over and under my eyelids, on my forehead, my neck and decolletage ( these are my driest patches of skin), and rub the remainder on the ends of my hair and elbows.
Doing this faithfully for a couple of weeks had left my skin and the ends of my hair so soft , healthy and nourished that it is unbelievable.
Vitamin E oil used right before bed, is by far better than any serum or night cream that I have ever tried and it soaks right in making the plumping effect instant, and not feeling greasy or oily at all.
Beauty Tip: If Vitamin-E oil in its original form is too heavy for your skin, you can always add few drops to your favorite lotion/serum and store the rest for later.
When going through my stuff I realise that I am a bit of a hoarder, there aren’t a lot of products that I have used up and I still purchase that one odd thing here and there to add to my stash. Most beauty/pampering products are not like toothpaste or shampoo,which you will religiously re-purchase for well…hygienic reasons.
However, if I do manage to finish something… anything for that matter ! It amazes me and I give myself a pat on the back ! So here are my thoughts on 3 products that I recently used up (loved them) and can now honestly have an “Opinion” about.
1) Eucerin Aquaporin Active Moisturising Cream (Rich) : For starters let me tell you, that my skin situation isn’t a pleasant one, with very dry and dehydrated skin I can never have a lotion/cream that can keep the surface of my face moist for more than a couple of hours. Sure, I have been recommended those thick oily formulas which will work just fine on the dryness, but will most definitely result in a bout of unwanted pimples.
Eucerin’s Aquaporin range is the answer for all of those people who have dry dehydrated skin, or even those with normal skin but bouts of dehydration (try the “Light” version). With a lotion like consistency this is a fast absorbing, non oily treat and will leave the skin feeling plump and nourished for hours.
Beauty Tip: This also lives up to it’s claim of being an excellent base for your make-up.
2) CLinique Lipliner 29 Sky Violet : This lip liner does not seem like anything special at first glance, however, for those of us warmer toned gals, who want a beautiful mauve-y pink this is perfect. Strangely enough this is one of the easiest things to line your lips with and can be worn with pinks, nudes, purples and browns making it very versatile.
Also one of my favourite ways to wear this lip-liner was on its own, it gave the most beautiful pouty effect with a hint of the violet hue . ( Although do note that I have quite pigmented lips).
Beauty Tip : This is not a very creamy formula, but is not as tough as MAC liners either. Which makes the application easy and the staying power very good ! Win-Win Situation !
3) Bath and Body Works 3 wick Candle (Espresso Bar): Are you one of those people who’s nerves are calmed instantly by that smell of freshly brewed coffee ?? Then this candle is for you !! I have never burned a candle this fast in my life ! And mind you it wasn’t a small one either.
Now the scent of this candle makes it either a hit or a miss, there is no real middle ground and the scent remains as strong as when you first burn it…all the way up until the bottom. With the rich aroma of coffee wafting through your rooms/home, this candle is any coffee lover’s dream and I will repurchase it forever. Unfortunately, though it was a seasonal candle, and even though I have quite a few other scents left with me to burn,I keep going back to different Bath and Body Works stores and inquiring if these are back in “Season” yet. Sighhh …
With a beauty industry as saturated as today’s, it isn’t surprising that there is a product for everything. In fact go have a quick peak at your beauty/make-up stash, you are likely to find at least a couple of products that you dint even know could serve a useful purpose in your make-up/beauty regime a few years ago.
Having scoured malls and seen one beauty product after another, sometimes the mind craves an alternative, something that you don’t have to dish out a casual 100 AED or 10BD ( $26.5), every time you run out of it.
Shopper’s Note: The beauty/ make-up products are significantly more expensive in the GCC, especially when compared to the USA.
There are 2 products to which I have sort of found my own alternatives to and they have worked for me, for quite some time now so I thought I would share.
1) Make-Up Brush Cleaners:
Yes, these are wonderful detergents that promise to remove all the residue from your make-up brushes and provide a clean bacteria free application the next time you reach out for them. The problem is …. if you have an active schedule/routine and enjoy slapping your products on (like me), you will go through these like water ! Which can make you cringe a bit every time you reach the end of a bottle.
Alternative: Anti-bacterial hand soap and oil.
The oil (Argan,Olive,Almond..whatever your pick is) will help break down all make-up residue especially liquid/cream products off the bristles of the brushes, this works especially well for synthetic brushes and also brushes that are quite dense.
Obviously since oil is heavy, make sure you only use a very tiny amount just enough to work the product off, otherwise you shall be left with a shapeless mess of bristles on a stick.
After working the oil into the bristles, take one pump of anti-baterial soap and work the brush (now coated with oil) into the soap and rinse-off.
Leave them side-ways on a wash-cloth to dry !
Voila !! Fresh,soft,clean bacteria free brushes, also this is not a time-consuming process ! I did 10 brushes within 3-5 minutes.
Cleaning Tip : For some extra anti-bacterial action, pop a few drops of tea-tree oil into the base oil.
Working It !
2) Volumizing/Texturizing sprays:
For those with fine/limp hair , you know this was one product that brought glory to your crown, and had you wanting to take more pictures at events because.. well your locks don’t get mistaken for a greasy mess no more ! And I must admit I love my volumizing/texturizing spray and that boost that it gives my roots, but after doing this everyday for a week … I couldn’t deal with the aftermath.
Aftermath: 1) you have weird gunky (hairspray-ish) residue in your hair, and its a vicious cycle of wash, spray….go through the day and wash again !
2) You are washing your hair everyday ! which means sulphate overload and hair fall.
Alternative: Table Salt. Yes .. the stuff that you sprinkle on your food ! Now please read further before you think this is far-fetched. Salt is a great natural cleaning agent, and when reading an article about its cleansing properties, and realising the effects of sea salt hairsprays I decided to see if it worked to give volume to the hair, without leaving that grit behind. After a couple of trial and errors, this step by step procedure now works wonders to give volume to my hair sans any residue and has also helped increase the clean hair time I get between 2 washes !
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of Table Salt onto the palm of your hand and add about 2 drops of water creating a semi-solid paste. ( Don’t add two much water, we are not aiming for a liquid-y texture)
- Part your hair and rub mixture into your roots ( Please do NOT be aggressive just gently massage it in) (Caution: If you have a sensitive scalp or any open wounds this is NOT for you)
- Wait 5 minutes.
- Get into the shower , apply conditioner first wait a bit and then shampoo.
This will give you soft managable hair with no residue, and a visible lift to your roots. I do this once every 2 washes.
With a few drops of water. (This is the consistency that you are aiming for !)
Note: My attempts to take pictures of my hair, a before and after shot , were just impossible (hence the step-by step procedure), but basically if you have ever used a volumizing hairspray ,the effects aren’t as dramatic (in terms of lift and volume), however the volume is subtle, yet with a clean scalp and tangle free hair !
You may be 17 or 70 … or perhaps in between both,but your love for lip products is almost certain if you are a woman who likes to take care of herself. I for one was not quick to venture into make-up,thanks to my mum there were rules and some of them included “Nothing but Johnson’s baby cream for the face” for quite some time.
Today of course….things are VERY different.I love my lip products with a passion and have quite ahem the “collection”. Also the cosmetic industry, perhaps is not what it was a decade ago,with new product releases/launches by the second ! each trying to up the other’s claim, the choices are innumerable and sometimes can be very overwhelming.
Now Mikyajy is not a brand that is new to my knowledge. In fact it is one of those stores that sadly you just pass by, because oh well I want to get something a bit more MAC or Bobbi Brown (snob alert) or run to the drugstore/pharmacy to look at the new L’Oréal or Maybelline displays.
Mikyajy was brought to my attention about a year ago by my niece, who was wearing a beautiful lip colour. Matte, yet not dry and flaky and it stayed put through the night,withstanding food,drink,chatter and all ! So without a doubt I had to pop the question….What do you have on your lips???
Being women….there began our excited conversation about this Mikyajy lip-liner and how it was a favourite amongst many women from this region,prices were affordable….yet the product was great etc etc.
On the particular day that I sauntered into a Mikyajy store,I was looking to find the perfect “nude” lipstick. Note : Having yellow undertones means this a task and a half.
Also they had a “Buy 2 get 1 free” on their Sabaya moisture lip colour range,which is one of their most comfortable lipstick formula to wear.
1) Sabaya Line and Define Pencil (No3)
2) Sabaya Line and Define Pencil (No1)
Verdict – Smooth and creamy, these liners glide right on and are comfortable enough to wear all over the lip ( as pictured above) without the uncomfortable “crayon on my mouth” feeling. The staying power is great too although they will fade a bit if in contact with a lot of liquids. Over all good product for the price and there are quite a few shades to choose from.
Beauty Tip : If you are planning to wear these all over your lips, make sure your lips are exfoliated as the lip liner will cling on to any dry bits making the wear a bit rough and uneven.
1) Sabaya Moisture Lip Colour (No4) – The Brown(y) Nude
2) Sabaya Moisture Lip Colour (No11) – The Pink (y) Nude
3) Sabaya Moisture Lip Colour (No14) – The Pretty Pink
Verdict : With a rich formula these lipsticks go on beautifully and stay true to their name of being a “moisture” lip colour. However, if you are looking for a good long wear for hours at a stretch without a touch-up, these formulations are not the one for you. But the colour pay-off is good and they fade nicely and don’t leave that awkward residue on the lips. Also since these are lighter formulas the colour will vary according to the pigmentation of your natural lip colour.